Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Let the Work Blogging Begin!

So, yes. I'm on day 5 at work and I'm already feeling confortable to blog. OR is it that since I'm having to grab events as we get them, I'm just a little bored at times?? Ha! Either way, so much has happened in the past week and it has all been WONDERFUL. I started my job last Wednesday, and shadowed my first wedding on Friday!! Talk about alot of overwhelming information! The wedding on Friday, although not my style, was an overall success. Oh wait...there was a small kitchen fire that set off one of the sprinklers in the kitchen, made the fire alarms go off and flooded the water system in the building. Needless to say, the head coordinator, Jen, and I had a few little damage control issues to deal with (and all an hour before the ceremony I might add!!). After flushing the toilets in the bathroom about 20 times each (trying to get rid of the brown rusty water--which looked like poopy water) and letting all of the faucets run for about 40 minutes each, we barely survived and were able to finish filing the 250 water glasses about a minute behind schedule. This ended up working out in the end anyway, since the ceremony/receiving line lasted longer than scheduled. It was definitely a long day, but a glance into what I get to enjoy for my time here in Cedar Falls (hopefully!). There really is nothing quite like saving an event from disaster, all without the Bride/Groom/Family knowing and having everything go off without an obvious stitch. Thank you so much.

After the crazy 13 hour work day on Friday, Graham and I came home to furiously finish cleaning the apartment and getting everything ready for our crazy weekend with Laura and Drew. Let me tell you what. A weekend filled with crazy friends, drinks, music and food makes for an amazing time. The twins game was great! It was an amazingy beautiful day, we had seats in the shade (perfect temperature and less sweat) and the rooted for the home team (of course) and they puled it off! The only dissapointing moment was Laura and I missing the 7th ining stretch "Take me out to the ballgame" to go to the bathroom. No worries, though, we sang it together after the Twins' next score, so we made up for it. That night we headed out to dinner at "The Newsroom", which, if you are EVER in Minneapolis (which I LOVE by the way...I hope we move there NEXT!) you have to eat dinner at this place. GREAT food, GREAT drinks, GREAT service. Need I say more?? I mean, come on, mine and Laura's drink was called "The Dingo Ate Your Berry". Loves.

On Sunday mornig, which looked cloudy in Minneapolis, we drove back down to sunny Iowa and caught the hippy (literally) bus up the river to float down a river in the sun for 4 hours. You might think this could get boring or monotonous, but believe me, it was one of the best decisions I have EVER made. I was most surprised that the water was actually MUCH warmer than the water would have been in NC at this time of year! Go figure?

On Monday we headed up to Madison, WI to take our two visitors back to the airport (sad day) and stopped on the way in beautiful Dubuque at the Star Brewery. We visited here when Graham's parents came up to visit, but I wasn't able to eat anything since I had ben sick, but I remembered how awesome the food looked at the time and knew we had to go back. We sat outside on the terrace (another beautiful day!) overlooking the Mississippi River (so surreal) and enjoyed some absolutely delicious food.

Thanks again to Laura and Drew for flying all the way to see us and for such an AMAZING weekend! We miss you already! For anyone else that wants to come experience the awesomeness of rock n' row adventure tube ride down the river, please come visit! I know we are DEFINITELY going back before the summer is over! Well, that's all for now, I guess I'll go try to be productive in one way or another :).

No comments:

Post a Comment