Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What the Hail?



I think I am still laughing out loud at the title of this blog entry. Anyone from the South can appreciate the pun. ANYWAY. I'm guessing you can figure out what I'm talking about by seeing the crazy size of the HAIL we experienced here in CF yesterday afternoon! I was casually chatting on the phone with my mom when all of a sudden it was raining, then raining harder, then it got REALLY loud outside. Yeah, sure I know what hail is, NC has it too, but not like this. I thought the hail on my porch at the beginning of the storm that was the size of my big toe was big...then it just got crazy outside! These hailstones were WAY bigger than golf ball size. I had heard of this happening, but never before had I seen it. The sound of the hail hitting the sidewalk, roof, carhoods, etc. was deafening. I just watched in awe as the stones continually bounced off of my poor wittle car. I was one of the fortunate ones, though, as the roof of my car is glass. I guess now I will only have to repair the hood, trunk, and sides of the car...no big deal, right?

On another note, Graham and I were truly blessed to have spent this Easter with a visit from his family! His mom, dad and Brother made the trip all the way to IA for the weekend. We had a total blast! I wish I could say I was more fun though as I came down with some sort of bad stomach virus on Thursday night and was kinda pitiful through the weekend. But believe me, no stomach virus is going to stop me from participating in all the festivities! On Saturday afternoon, we all piled in the car and headed east toward the Mississippi. It is still crazy to me that we can be at the Mississippi River in a little over an hour. Weird! We were on our way to visit a cute little town called Dubuque when we just happened to pass through Dyersville, IA. All of you Iowans know this is the historic town where "Field of Dreams" was filmed! Of course we pulled off immediately and found the film site, baseball field and all. Graham says we are definitely coming back once the corn has grown up.

After our brush with fame, we arrived in Dubuque. I REALLY enjoyed it here! The steep hills that surrounded the city center really created a fun, San Francisco-like atmosphere, not to mention the beautiful weather we had. First stop--the aquarium of course! I am such a little kid when it comes to animals. I really enjoy zoos, aquariums and the like, no matter how big or how many animals they have. This one was a really great time! Price (Graham's brother) and I both got to pet these crazy looking fish and see a komodo dragon! Talk about one mean looking reptile. Thankfully, on the way out of the museum, I snagged this picture, which I think should win some kind of award. No, I didn't force them to do this, it was only a mere suggestion which they hopped on board quickly! Definitely a framer.

After the aquarium we proceeded to tour around the town's ups and downs until we made a wrong turn down 4th St. to find an old-school elevator that you could ride for $1 each way to the top of the hill! Although slightly rickety, this was well worth it as we got a great view of the city and got to experience the "thrill" of the ride to the top. If you're ever in Dubuque, I really recommend this "wrong" turn. Here's a view from the top. The nice man who was operating the elevator suggested the Star Brewery for dinner, and that's exactly where we headed. Rich in history, this old brewing site was a classy rendition of your typical brewery feel. I really enjoyed it and I know the food was fantastic (even if I still wasn't able to eat anything)!

I love Easter. I think it really may be my favorite holiday. What a beautiful picture of how God creates opportunity for a fresh start and new beginning every year. With the promise of Christ's resurrection we can live in the hope that we are here on this Earth for a purpose--how glorious! I just love the picture of the Earth coming alive through fresh blooms and flowers (more in NC than here, unfortunately) paralleling the risen Lord. What an amazing reminder of how loved we are! This Easter was special because I was able to host the family for the first time! Not only was this Graham and I's first Easter as a married couple, but our first one in Iowa as well! I know we would have celebrated just the same without them, but I am so thankful that we had the company of our wonderful family. Sharon helped me prepare ham, turkey, hashbrown casserole, Mamaw's green beans fresh from the garden (how could Easter be Easter without these?), deviled eggs, apple-cranberry crumb pie for dessert and of course, SWEET TEA!! Yes, I know you're jealous. Graham and I still have leftovers to enjoy! Sadly, Price had to leave later on Sunday afternoon and after a wonderful day together on Monday, his mom and dad had to head back on Tuesday as well. It is always sad to see familiar faces go, but I'm hopeful we will be able to visit again sometime in the near future!

So, as you already know, Graham and I are headed to Vegas tomorrow night! On the agenda:

1. Shop. Okay, I'm sure if Graham was making this list, this wouldn't be his number one, but he isn't making the list, is he?

2. Play at the pool. Although I'm enjoying Iowa, I seriously cannot wait to get a little sun on my white legs if you know what I mean. Here we come 80 degree weather!! Wahoo!!

3. Ride some of the attractions including the roller coasters at New York New York and the Sahara. If you know me, then you know a vacation just isn't a vacation without riding some rides.

4. Visit the "Pawn Stars" pawn shop. Seriously, if you haven't seen this show yet, you're missing out. My goal is to get my picture made with Chumley.

5. See and get a picture next to the old Las Vegas sign. It is a classic stop I feel like you have to make and one we didn't get to experience when we were in Vegas for the first time last summer.

6. Shark Reef at Mandolay Bay. Yep, as I told you before I have a weak spot for animals.

7. See the lions at MGM Grand. This one is actually Graham's addition.

8. Go to the top of the Eiffel Tower at the Paris Hotel. I figure this is as close to the real one as Graham and I are going to get for a while :).

9. See the Bellagio Hotel fountain water show at night. We got to see it during the day last time, but I hear it is just breathtaking when it is dark outside and the fountain is lit up. PS the spelling suggestion for Bellagio is Beluga. Spell Check FAIL.

10. Go see the Ferarris at the Wynn Hotel. Also Graham's addition, but hey, who doesn't like looking at expensive cars?

11. Oh yeah, and how could I forget, see GARTH BROOKS!! Wahoo!

Hopefully next time I will be able to share a picture next to all of our goals. Wish us safe travels!

5 comments:

  1. Joanna - I love ready your blog. You are such a talented writer and I feel I'm right there wherever you are with your descriptive speech. We miss you so much - Easter in Hendersonville was definitely not the same without you and Graham. Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter though and I'm so happy for you. Have a wonderful time in Vegas and say hello to Garth for me. Love - Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should've previewed my comment. I meant to say "I love READING your blog" - Love, Auntie Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna, I love your recent adventures! We stayed here for Easter too and had a makeshift Easter dinner w/ some friends. Hope your trip to Vegas is a blast! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like many who have posted comments, we too discovered your blog when we read about you in Kyle Munson's column.

    Before graduating from UNI-- 1971 (Mick) and 1972 (Vicki)--we lived our first year of married life in an old home on Main Street. It was two blocks from the photo you posted, and it is now the parking lot for the Catholic church.

    We really enjoyed your Blog and sent your link to our 26 year old daughter Kelsey (ISU grad 2004) who lives in Seattle. She too recently started a blog. If you are interested, here is the link http://theyardsalegirl.blogspot.com/

    Boy how the years fly. We moved to Arizona in 2006. We are both retired (Vicki 33 years teaching and Mick 35 years insurance adjuster)

    We liked the photo of the hailstone. Mick adjusted hundreds of hail claims while working in Iowa. It reminded him of how many times people would bring out the saved hailstones from their freezers to prove the size of the hailstones to the adjuster.

    We miss Iowa and your blog helps remind us of what we miss about the state.

    Mick and Vicki McCarville
    Surprise, AZ (really that is the name of the town)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog, Gurl! Hope you guys have fun in Vegas. Can't wait to hear about it when you get back!!

    ReplyDelete