Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mother's Day Surprise!

Where have I been?? This past Thursday, with help from my awesome Husband and Father, I traveled back to NC to surprise my mom for Mother's Day weekend! I honestly had no expectation of actually surprising my mom, since I had told my sister, brother, dad, husband, mother-in-law and aunt of my plans. I think it might have been the first secret that has been kept in my family in years! When I arrived at the Asheville airport, I felt nervous and so excited to be back in my hometown. My dad convinced mom to come with him to the airport to pick up an "urgent package" that his company was sending him to the airport. Given the fact that my dad has asked way more odd requests in the past and my mom was completely clueless, I was happy to hear she had no clue as dad walked into the airport to claim me. As I walked up to the car, I saw my mom, primping in her makeup mirror per usual, went up to her rolled down passenger side mirror and non chalantly exclaimed, "Happy Mother's Day!" After a quick double take and screams/cries that scarred the lady walking behind me at the time, I was so excited to find my mom actually shocked at the news I really was in NC (she wasn't seeing things) and that I was going to be home until Monday!

From the airport we headed straight to Mezzaluna to enjoy some celebratory bruchetta and red wine (typical) before heading off to my home church for an Open Arms Crisis Pregnancy Center (where my mom volunteers) appreciation dinner. This is so funny because earlier in the week, mom mentioned the dinner to me over the phone and said, "Well, you know you were supposed to recieve an invitation to this dinner (I had donated earlier in the year) but I knew you wouldn't be able to come so I didn't send it." Knowing I would actually be there to join her, I then asked, "So I wasn't even worth a stamp, huh?" At least I helped them save on postage.

I woke up early on the beautiful Friday morning to head out on a run. Living out in the middle of nowhere as my parents do provides for some great running routes. My favorite of which is a four mile run down the road to an old bridge, then around what we call "the dirt road" and back. It is hard to imagine without knowing the country, but I don't think running has ever made me so happy. It was a gorgeous morning and, although I didn't have my camera, I captured a few shots on my phone for you to enjoy (amazing how great those things are nowadays, huh?):

Lovin' the country roads.
Fiberglass cows, anyone? A clear landmark you're almost to the house.
A view of Bub's barn and small community near my house built by Bub, an eccentric millionaire.

We later ate lunch at a little place in downtown Hendersonville called Never Blue and enjoyed some awesome hummus and the beautiful weather along with Graham's mom Sharon. As any good mother daughter pair enjoys, we headed straight from lunch to shop! Had a great time, bought some great things, and just really enjoyed being with mom. That night we met my dad for dinner at West First, a local wood-fired pizza place that is a Hill family favorite (mostly because my dad enjoys their wine selection and the barbeque chicken pizza is to die for!).

On Saturday my sister Keri and brother-in-law Joel came to visit with my two neices, Rami and Ada. It was wonderful seeing them, enjoying an awesome, super unhealthy, lunch at Harry's burger joint in Hendo (another one of my childhood favorites) and then headed out to a par 3 golf course with Keri, Joel, Dad and I as mom so graciously offered to keep the girls. I was proud of my performance as I only finished 6 strokes behind dad after 18 holes! Anyone who knows my dad knows how great he is at golf, but in his defense, if we were playing on a "real" golf course the slaughter would have been much worse. This is why I stick to par 3 courses.

On sunday after church we headed down to Chimney Rock, NC to have a picnic with the whole fam! The grandparents, my dad's sister and the rest of us piled in cars and drove until we found a picnic spot by the river. What a wonderful place for the girls to play, and to enjoy some Bojangles' fried chicken with all the homemade fixin's on the side courtesy of Mamaw L. and mom. What a great mother's day retreat and great way to spend the last afternoon in town.

Monday morning we woke up bright and early so we could grab breakfast at one of my favorite little spots (can you tell I was really excited about food on this trip??) and then head over to Fresh Market before being taken back to the airport. Stuffed with trial mixes, Quinoa, and peanut butter stuffed pretzels (a Fresh Market fave) in my new ballin' j. crew purse (thanks mom!) I headed back to Iowa. Thank you mom and dad for an amazing weekend back in Hendersonville!!

As I was searching for my I.D. at the airport, I turn around and try to remain cool as I realize that Mr. Schuster from Glee was beind me in line. Okay. So. Accordng to Graham he isn't really a famous person, but to me, he totally is, and as I really haven't ever met anyone famous or semi-famous or whatever, of course I had to introduce myself and ask why he was in town. He was visiting his mom for mother's day as well. How sweet. So, now, whenever you watch Glee, just know, Joanna has shaken hands with Matthew Morrison, thank you so much (even if I had chosen not to shower that morning...lml).

Then in Detriot I got to spend my 2 hour layover with Taylor Meadows, one of my bridesmaids and bff's for surprise lunch at Subway. Isn't it amazing how things like that work out? It was so surreal to be spending a few short minutes with such a great friend so far from our home state of NC (Michigan!) while I'm on my way back to my new home...Iowa! Talk about time flying since just one year ago when we were wearing the Carolina blue gowns and marching into Kenan stadium together to accept our diplomas...graduating from college deserves another blog entirely.

Thankfully I made it back to Iowa safe and sound and arrived to find a freshly cleaned apartment a sweet note and frech flowers from my awesome husband and best friend. Even if we are so far away from our families and hometown, my home is here, for now, in Iowa with the love of my life. I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment