Monday, July 26, 2010

First Half Marathon...Complete.

I feel like typically, if you're going to run a half marathon, you expect thousands of people cheering you on, running with you, and waiting for you at the finish line to give you high-fives, water, massages, release balloons, a t-shirt, tell you how awesome you are, etc. You get the picture. Well, my first half marathon plus experience wasn't so neat. Due to the unfortunate placement of my first on-my-own wedding (worth another post in and of itself) I wasn't able to run with my awesome partner in training. And when I say unfortunate, I really mean unfortunate.

It is one thing to run 14 miles, it is another to do it alone. Although, as most of you know, I am pretty easily entertained. I spent my 2 hours and 23 minutes (I'm proud of my time for a first timer!) counting cracks in the sidewalk (OCD much?), enjoying the sights, accidentally singing the lyrics of the songs stuck in my head out loud as I passed the other bikers/runners along the way, you know, just the typical things to keep your mind occupied. I cannot run with an iPod that far, because my ears start to hurt from the ear phones, and I really just don't like the weight of the arm band being on one arm the whole time. I mean, I know I could switch it, but who wants to mess with it when I have plenty of songs in my head to keep me occupied?

Last weekend, I was able to run 10 miles. I made the mistake of running too late that time, starting around 8:30am. It was so miserably hot and I was super dehydrated. You think if I'm not going to run with an armband on my arm that I'm going to run with a water bottle? No way, Jose. There are people that can be used for such services (*clear throat annoyingly* Graham). Thanks babe for being willing to help keep me hydrated!! This week, Grahambo was super tired, and I started a little earlier (around 7:00am) and wanted him to get plenty of sleep before church so I didn't bother waking him. Thus, I ran 14 miles without water. And I made it. Only to drink 1L of water as quickly as humanly possible the second I stepped foot into the door.

I wasn't attacked by any black birds (thank goodness...this has been a recurring problem lately. Seriously.), my legs held up and my lungs felt pretty great. It wasn't until mile 13 that I really started feelin' it. Running is so mental it is ridiculous.

When I arrived home, I felt pretty good. It was only after I attempted to walk down the stairs and out of our apartment to head to church that I knew this wasn't something my body was reacting well to. Just FYI, walking backwards down the stairs really helps! I spent the rest of the day hobbling to church, lunch, a movie and then dinner. I was way too tired to cook, you know? We went out to lunch with some good friends, my awesome hubby took me to see Inception (so worth it!) and then to a great dinner of really unhealthy food at Lone Star Steakhouse. It has been years since I have been there, but I was super pumped about rolls and peanuts. A deadly combination for my tastebuds. At lunch, when I told the host how many people we had, he says, "Will a table upstairs be okay?" Normally, this would be an easy, "of course!" but yesterday, my simple response was, "Upstairs? Okay I think I can make it." Going up is definitely easier than coming down (remember...go backwards!).

Stay tuned...this Saturday is a 16.0 mile run. Can't wait! (Can you sense my sarcasm?)

2 comments:

  1. 1. Ha ha, boo hoo for those birds. I still flinch every time I run by a tree!

    2. We should have told that waiter to take a hike!

    3. Inception is an amazingly good movie. Left feeling kind of creepy and violated, but good nonetheless.

    4. Super Star for your first 1/2! If you're concerned about the lack of fanfare for your first 1/2, fear not my dear, there's many more to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, will saw this post and said "joanna ran a half marathon, so you should too"... so thanks. being married to a runner brings so much expectation.

    ReplyDelete